CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Light Skin Vs. Dark Skin...

As a "dark skin" female i sometimes have an issue with this topic. The other day i was in the nail salon and this fair skinned lady said to me "you're such a pretty dark skinned girl" i said thank you, but in the back of my mind I'm like, "what does that mean? she usually sees ugly dark skinned girls?" I'm not insecure about my looks at all. At a time i was. Most of my friends are lighter than i am. In high school they always seemed to get more male attention then i did, but that really didn't phase me in all honesty. Men always seem to want that light skin, light eyed, long haired chick. We see it in videos, in books, in movies, hear it in songs...But why? what is it about a "light skinned" chick that a dark skin woman can't offer? Last time i checked, i've seen just as many hideous light skinned women as dark skinned ones. I'm not a hater at all, i get plenty attention when i step out. I come from an extremely diverse family so my skin color was never a big deal growing up. I'm considered "exotic" i suppose *shrug* It just kind of bothers me to see light and dark skinned women sort of compete when they are out. And the men just eat it up. I guess some people just still have that house slave/ field slave mentality. I'll never get it...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This used to be an issue for me b/c I was the only dark skinned one in the house..Both my sisters are light and so is my mom..People didn't believe I was related to them until they saw my dad...Over the years I began to grow comfortable in my own skin and realized that beauty comes from within and I love all women no matter what their color may be...we need to break this color barrier that is so prevelant in our race...I would love to see more dark skin women on t.v., I'd love to see more women wear their real hair and stop with the same ole weave that they see celebrities wear...But I understand we are all diverse and we can't all look alike...But I agree that darker women catch a lot of heat from men and women.

Rob [Vice President of G.A.F] said...

As the dark one in my family i get a lot of shit from my white or hispanic family members they always go even strangers. One time this italian lady was like "oh your hands are so unexpectedly soft" like WTF just cause i'm dark i'm gon have rough ass hands? Then i proceded to rob the bitch blind. j/jkz but i do love my burnt caramel skin *touches it*

Acolyte said...

@ Calexis
You strike me as fallin in the middle. But I guess peeps have other ideas, Im African so I know what dark is lol.
But yes peeps need to move past that ish!

city said...

like aco, I'm African so I also know what dark is. Like you said lexi, it comes down to that slave mentality as well as the media biased.

Everything you see in the media, in terms of females, is either of these so called pretty white women or light skinned black women. You even have certain black celebrities going beyond the black look and into the stereotypical white look. You see color contacts and blond hair all around as opposed to the natural brown eyes (for most) and dark hair. I won't call it self hate but it's not even self love and acceptance.

Now Wesley Snipes been reppin for the brothas for years so we good lol.

thundacat said...

lol...welll i LOOOOVEEE the dark skinned dudes....ya'll know that. and i think darkskin woman are beautiful too...i ont know..i think mafukkas are just stupid...and have biases for reasons they dont even know!

Lexi said...

basically..if u ugmo, u ugmo color just addin or subtractin from that factor